Yep, we’re still on the Halloween kick. Deal with it!!! 🙂
- Halloween in Welsh is ‘Nos Calan Gaeaf’.
- Other names for Halloween: All Hallows Eve, Samhain, All Hallowtide, The Fast of the Dead and, The Day of the Dead
- In Mexico, they celebrate El Dia de los Muertos or the Day of the Dead starting the evening of October 31.
- Black cats were originally believed to protect witches’ powers from negative forces.
- Ringing a bell scares evil spirits away.
- To meet a witch, put your clothes on inside out and walk backwards on Halloween night. (I’m telling India about this one, I betcha she’ll try it!)
- If your pumpkin lantern shrivels up, you can restore it by soaking it overnight in water to re hydrate it.
- 90% of the pumpkin is made up of water.
- Halloween also is recognized as the 3rd biggest party day after New Year’s and Super Bowl Sunday.
- In Lancashire, ‘Lating’ or ‘Lighting the witches’ was an important Halloween custom. People would carry candles from eleven to midnight. If the candles burned steadily the carriers were safe for the season, but if the witches blew them out, the omen was bad indeed.
- Oct. 28th is the biggest day of the year for candy sales.
- In 18th-century Ireland, a matchmaking cook might bury a ring in her mashed potatoes on Halloween night, hoping to bring true love to the diner who found it.
- The American tradition of “trick-or-treating” dates to the early All Souls’ Day parades in England. The poor would beg for food, and families would give them pastries called “soul cakes” in return for a promise to pray for the family’s dead relatives.
Halloween in Vegas- Here’s what’s going on in town this year.
- Fright Dome at Circus Circus (not for under 12 years old)
- The 13th Floor Experience at Circus Circus (not for under 12 years old)
- Madam Tussauds After dark
- Fremont Street Experience- OktoberFRIGHTfest
- Freaking Haunt Haunted Houses– scary stuff (Rated R)
- Blood Villiage at the Henderson Pavilion
- Town Scary at Town Square- Most definitely for kiddos and it’s free
- Haunted Harvest at The Springs Preserve- Kid friendly
- Bonnie Screams at Bonnie Springs Ranch- Kid friendly
- The Las Vegas Halloween Parade
- Easter Seals annual Trunk or Treat
- Devil’s Night 14 at The Hard Rock (over 21 only)
That covers most of the fun and activities. If I see something good pop up, I’ll let you know.