- Snapping your fingers is called a “fillip”.
- It takes 8 minutes for the light of the sun to travel 94 million miles to reach us on Earth.
- The difference between tornadoes, hurricanes, and cyclones? Respectively:
– Forward speeds of 40mph, 10-20mph, 25mph
– Wind speeds of 300mph, 100mph, 60mph
– Focus of less than a mile, 600 miles, 1000 miles
– Durations of minutes, days, weeks
- The word “acre” literally means the amount of land plowable in one day.
- The scientific name for goose bumps, goose pimples, or goose-flesh is horripilations.
- Romans invented the game of horseshoes.
- People are believed to have been wearing shoes for over 10,000 years.
- Partly cloudy is a technical term, describing 31 to 70 percent cloud cover.
- Right out of the womb the South American vicuña can run faster than a human.
- The first coin operated vending machine was made in ancient Greece around 215 BC by Hero of Alexandria. The heavy coin currency of the time would drop onto a lever, which would uncork a spigot and dispense a trickle of holy water.
- The age of a whale can be determined by counting the layers of its earwax growth.
- Human lungs are about 100 times easier to inflate than balloons.
- The human body has 45 miles of nerves, enough blood vessels to circle the equator six times, and about a mile of intestines.
- Benjamin Franklin tried to electrocute a turkey but instead shocked himself.
- The Oscars are given out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to recognize achievement in films. They used to be called the Academy Award of Merit until, rumour has it, that one of the staff started calling the trophy Oscar because it reminded her of her Uncle Oscar. A Hollywood columnist used it in a 1934 article and in 1939 the Academy started using it.
- Dragonflies can fly up to 30 mph.